Getting the MySQL extension for Ruby installed or updated on Fedora Core
5 takes a few extra steps besides “gem install mysql”. Since I can never
remember the steps needed to get the extension installed, I am posting
this install guide so I won’t have to search for it on Google. Who
knows, maybe somebody else will find it useful too.
- Run “gem install mysql”. Choose to install mysql 2.7, and wait for
the install to die with an error.
- Change to the gem directory. “cd
- Configure the gem with the proper path to mysql_config. “ruby
- Run make.
- Optionally, you can run the test suite on module. “ruby ./test.rb
[hostname] [user] [password] [dbname] [port] [socket] [flag]”
- Run make install.
- Run “gem install mysql” again to complete the installation.