Favorite CLI Tools
Command Line Tools
I am a big fan of working in a terminal over working with graphical applications. This is a short list of a few of my favorite tools. I typically prefer tools that have minimal dependencies, like tools written in Go or Rust, and tools that are cross-platform and run on both Linux and Windows. I am also fond of tools that can easily be bundled into a Docker container so I can avoid installing them directly on my systems.
My favorite shell is zsh, though the recently released nushell looks interesting too.
My Favorite CLI Tools
Last Updated: 2019-11-16
- bat - Drop-in replacement for
catthat supports syntax highlighting and git integration
- direnv - Loads and unloads environment variables based on the current directory
- exa - A modern take on the
lscommand with better defaults
- jq - A tool that makes it easy to parse, query, and transform JSON data
- oh-my-zsh - A framework of managing your zsh configuration, including plugins, themes, helper functions, and completions
- tmux - A tool that lets you split a terminal window into multiple views, easily switch between programs, and leave programs running on a remote host